Initiated in 2010, Conflict Prevention and Peace Building Initiative is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and humanitarian organization that is committed to the prevention of violent conflicts in Nigeria and Africa.
Through its five mutually re-enforcing programs – Conflict Tracking and Reporting Program (CTRP), Peace Education and Advocacy Program (PEAP), Security Awareness Program (SAP), Leadership Education Program (LEP) and the Capacity Empowerment Program (CEP) – which focuses on multiple themes across multiple regions, with emphasis on improving institutional capacity, media and information flow, youth identity and security, CPPBI seeks to generate general awareness about the (actual and) potential causes of violent conflicts, and to help explore practical strategies towards checking them.
CPPBI employs interactive methods, such as seminars, workshops, adult literacy programs, family education, publications, fact-finding visits, and local peace building and peacemaking methods, such as informal socio-cultural activities, to reach its target audience. The organization continues to develop its potential to respond to conflict and promote peace in Africa.
OUR VISIONA positively peaceful, tranquil, egalitarian, informed, educated, developed, united and vigilant Africa; a continent where non-violence is the driving ethic, where conflicts are seen as opportunities to seek for common grounds and where people can become the best that they can be without inhibitions.
OUR MISSIONTo promote amongst Africans, a non-violent culture of understanding, tolerance, cooperation, and peaceful co-existence with the aim of lessoning all obstacles and threats to peace and progress within the continent.
OUR GOALTo construct a culture of mutual co-operation amongst the multifarious countries constituting the African Union, and among the several groups domiciled within these countries, with the aim of creating a base on which the superstructures of the continent's growth and development can be built.
- Build, maintain, and engender an environment of peace through peace building and conflict prevention activities,
- Collaborate with other organizations and practitioners involved in security and conflict matters (a multi-track approach) in dealing with issues that have the potentials of spiraling into negative conflict (open violence).
- Promote knowledge and preference for the non-adversarial response to conflict, as against the zero-sum (winners takes all) approach.
- Encourage responsible, responsive, transparent, accountable and objective leadership - the kind of leadership that promotes justice, equity and fair play.
- Give peace education to youths and community leaders on the significance of peace in nation-building.
- Promote peace education through shows, drama, arts and crafts, sports and recreation which depict peaceful cohabitation; and
- Advocate conflict prevention and peace building issues through the publication of books, magazines, provision of internet facilities, and the production of movies and television shows depicting the utilitarian values of non-violence.