The Conflict Prevention and Peace Building Initiative (CPPBI) is a Nigeria based non-governmental organization committed to the development of constructive personal, group, and political relationships across ethnic, religious, class, national, and racial boundaries.
We aim to resolve injustice in nonviolent ways and to transform the structural conditions that generate deadly conflict, using conflict prevention, conflict management, conflict resolution and transformation, post-conflict reconciliation and other peacebuilding strategies.
CPPBI works to connect people and groups “on the ground” (community and religious groups, grassroots organizations, etc.) with policymakers and powerbrokers (governments, international organizations, corporations, etc.), with the aim of not only resolving conflicts, but to build societies, institutions, policies, and relationships that are better able to sustain peace and justice.
We recognize the fact that peacebuilding is a long-term vocation that requires the construction of cross-group networks and alliances that will survive intermittent conflicts and create a platform for sustainable human development and security.
At CPPBI, we see peacebuilding and conflict prevention as strategies for reducing the threats of mass killings, as measures of confidence building, and as methods for releasing resources for the sustainable development of African countries.
We continue to develop our potential to respond to conflict and promote peace.
We believe in the possibility of a positively peaceful, tranquil, egalitarian, informed, educated, developed, just and united Africa; a continent where non-violence is the norm, where conflicts are seen as opportunities to seek for common grounds, and where people can become the best that they can be without inhibitions.
To help promote a non-violent culture of understanding, tolerance, cooperation and peaceful co-existence among Africans and the rest of civilized humanity, and remove all obstacles and threats to peace and progress, with the aim of creating a base on which the superstructures of the continent’s development can be built.
To construct a culture of mutual co-operation amongst the multifarious countries constituting the African Union, and among the several groups domiciled within these countries, with the aim of creating a base on which the superstructures of the continent’s growth and development can be built.
- Build, maintain, and engender an environment of peace through peace building and conflict prevention activities.
- Collaborate with other organizations and practitioners involved in security and conflict matters in dealing with issues that have the potentials of spiraling into open violence.
- Promote knowledge of the non-adversarial tools for responding to conflicts, as against the prevalent zero-sum (winners takes all) approaches.
- Encourage responsible, responsive, transparent, accountable and objective leadership in Africa.
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development.
- Provide access to justice for all, and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Educate youths and community leaders on the significance of peace in nation-building.
- Promote peace education, and advocate conflict prevention and peace building issues.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Team spirit
- Respect for human rights