Today is Valentine’s Day, a day to embrace love over hate, non-violence over death and destruction, and peace over war. Many individuals and groups that embrace an ethic of peace and social justice, focus some of their creative energies and dedication to Valentine’s Day wishes through the exchange of cards, candies, gifts, and flowers with their special “Valentine.” But for this year, let’s make the holiday more than just about gifts, but more about celebrating our COMMON HUMANITY.
In 2015, world leaders gathered at the United Nations to adopt the Sustainable Development Goals and commit to a world where no one is left behind. The global goals provide a common to-do list to create a more inclusive, sustainable, and resilient future for all people and our planet. These goals are vested in the idea that everyone deserves a life of dignity and opportunity – and we can work together to make that idea a reality. And when we accomplish this goal, the world will be a more peaceful place for all of us.
So, on this Valentine’s Day, let’s recognize our universal oneness, and resolve to start caring for one another and for our planet.
The following quotes are specially selected to remind us of the need to extend love and compassion not only to our valentine, but to other members of the human species.
– “People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” – NELSON MANDELA
– “I truly believe the only way we can create global peace is through not only educating our minds, but our hearts and our souls.” – MALAL YOUSAFZAI
– “It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.” – ELEANOR ROOSEVELT
– “When we see others as the enemy, we risk becoming what we hate. When we oppress others, we end up oppressing ourselves. All of our humanity is dependent upon recognizing the humanity in others.” – DESMOND TUTU
– “I see a world of neighbors, not a world of foreigners.” – TED TURNER
– “We can hope that men will understand that the interest of all are the same, that hope lies in cooperation. We can then perhaps keep peace.” – ALVA MYRDAL
– “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR
CPPBI wishes all members of the human family a happy “VALENTINE’S DAY”. Enjoy the rest of the day and spread the message of peace and love.